Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stuck on Santorini

I learned that in September, the Greeks cut back on the ferry schedules. I was planning to spend a few days on Santorini and then off to Crete, but I was stuck on Santorini for two more days until I could travel by ferry. Oh dear! (sarcasm)

I decided to take a boat trip to view the active volcano on the island of Nea Kameni. The day included a swim in the hot springs between the two islands (Nea Kameni and Palea Kameni)in the caldera of Santorini, and lunch on the island of Thirasia (which was separated from Santorini in the eruption).

Nea Kameni



Santorini in the background



Thirasia in the background


Here is where we swam in the hot springs near Palea Kameni.


Afterwards we stopped for lunch on the island of Thirasia where I climbed straight up to the top for the spectacular view and famous moussaka (another addiction of mine!) at Panorama Taverna.



This is the view looking at Santorini from Thirasia


I decided for my two extra days in Santorini to splurge and stay at a little villa in Firostefoni, a smaller town in the central part of the island. Here is a watercolor painting capturing the charm of the place.


After a full day, I was just in time to watch the sunset behind Nea Kameni from Firostefoni.





No comments:

Post a Comment