Thursday, October 14, 2010

Amazing Santorini

After a morning swim at Plaka Beach on the island of Naxos in Greece, I boarded the ferry to the amazing island of Santorini. Having spent most of my time in Greece (except for two days in Athens) in small towns and less touristy destinations, I was not prepared for the overwhelming onslaught of tourists flocking to Santorini. I swear the ferry tipped port side as everyone on board gathered to see Santorini as it came into view for the first time.




Santorini's uniqueness is that it is shaped somewhat like a crescent with multicolored cliffs and villages on the ridges. The surreal landscape is relic of what was probably the biggest volcanic eruption in recorded history. There is still an active volcano, Nea Nameni, which is accessible only by boat


We were herded into buses at island's main port, Athinino, and climbed the cliffs to Fira where we could disperse to different areas of the island. I headed to the youth hostel in Oia with a bus full of tourist anxious to watch the sunset.

I must admit, I took part in this ritual. About an hour before sunset people are staking out the best viewing sites.


Santorini is famous for its spectacular sunsets. The village of Oia on the northern tip of the island is a hugely popular sunset viewing site because there is an uninterrupted view of the sun as it finally sinks below the horizon.






Spetacular or what?!?!

The moon rose as left my sunset perch.


No comments:

Post a Comment