Friday, October 8, 2010

The Island of Antiparos

After spending time in Kastraki and visiting the clifftop monasteries of Meteora I decided to save Delphi for my next visit to Greece and head out to the islands.

I was intrigued by the mention in the Lonely Planet Greek Islands book of the great place to windsurf between the islands of Paros and Antiparos. I thought I had best check this out.

Traveling from Kastraki to Paros was a FULL DAY trip and did not reach the port of Parikia until nearly mid-night. When you get off the ferry people are gathered at the end of the docks with signs for rooms to rent. Running the gauntlet, I picked a woman and we negotiated terms. I was happy to have a place to rest!

The next morning on my way to the bus stop, I stopped at a bakery and bought a "spinach pie" which was still warm.......oh my gosh, was that delicious! Then, I found a gentleman at the dock who was selling fresh fruit; I bought some local grapes. While waiting for my bus, I was approached by a young man about a place to stay in Antiparos......word spreads quickly amongst the locals!

A bus ride and a short ferry between Paros and Antiparos, I left my backpack at this cute little place in Antiparos, and headed to the beach.

After swimming in the crystal clear turquoise blue waters, I pulled out the paints and sketchbook. What I learn was in the hot climate of Greece it is impossible to do a watercolor wash as the paint dries instantly! I painted quickly and then back into the water to cool off. What a life!


And you ask, did I go windsurfing? To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment