Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Challenge of a New Art Medium

Do you ever feel stuck?  Similar to writer's block, but for a visual artist it feels more like doing the same thing over and over again.  After twenty-five years exploring watercolors, I am beginning to feel the urge to try something new. 

Jump start creativity?  Last time I felt this way, I began to tear up old watercolor paintings and create new paintings (watercolor collage paintings). Talk about a metaphor!  As a challenge of new art media, I have been playing with water-based oil paints (sounds like a misnomer) and tried a few small acrylic paintings.  

Most recently, I have picked up a watercolor pencil set.  Now, you are probably thinking that is not so different for an artist who has painted with watercolors. BUT IT IS! TOTALLY DIFFERENT! For you  control freaks, watercolor pencils are a more controlable medium..........well, until you add the water :)  It even looks different. AMAZING!

Later, I am off on another discovery...........

No comments:

Post a Comment