Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Giant Dahlias

I will admit that I was a bit lost in Tacoma, Washington, when the Point Defiance Park sign appeared before me. Having taken a detour from the waterfront park, it was a welcome surprise.

Point Defiance Park is 702 acres of natural forest, saltwater beaches, awesome views and spectacular gardens. The rose garden caught my attention immediately upon entering the park.

After putting my nose in several roses, the huge dahlias in the Dahlia Trial Garden caught my eye.

I learned that the Dahlia Trial Garden at the Point Defiance Park is one of the largest official trial gardens in the US and Canada. The Dahlia Trial Garden is sponsored and maintained in cooperation with the Washington Dahlia Society. The garden is comprised of plants grown from tubers sent by dahlia growers from throughout America, Canada, England, New Zealand and Australia. Each year, the dahlias are scored by official judges of the American Dahlia Society. Dahlias receiving between 85 and 100 points are included in the annual classification book. They are then named and become available to the general public. Blooms begin in July, but August is the best time to view the garden in full bloom, when plants reach heights higher than 6 feet.

I took a few photos......










This one was the monster of the bunch



No comments:

Post a Comment