Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sand Orchids of Greece

One of the most captivating sights when I was in Greece last fall, is finding orchids growing profusely in the sandy beaches along the coast of the beautiful Aegean Sea.

My first sighting was on a hike to find Paradise Beach located on the northeast shore of Santorini. I love orchids and know that they are the only plants that do not need soil to survive; soil is bad for the plants because it cuts off air circulation at the roots and blocks the drainage of water.

Amazed by this discovery of orchids growing in the sand and not in a tropical forest, I took a couple of photographs.



The next time I saw an array of sand orchids, they were growing on Plakia Beach in southern Crete. In fact, I sat in the middle of them under the shade of a tree and did a quick sketch before I jumped in the crystal clear waters of the Aegean Sea.


Now, I am taking the time to recreate that feeling in a watercolor painting.

Ahhhh....to be in Crete again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment