Thursday, February 3, 2011

Compulsive Orchid Desire

Orchids are amazingly beautiful plants. Did you know that the number of orchid species equals more than twice the number of bird species, and about four times the number of mammal species?

I have gifted myself with several plants over the years and rejoice when they bloom again. Admittedly, I have killed several. What I have learned is that if you find the right placement in your house, they will survive. But, finding that right place may come with a few challenges because winter placement is not necessarily where they want to be living in the summer time. I end up moving them around the house. Finicky little guys!

I belong to the orchid addiction society. Most of my purchases are compulsive, but a few times I have specifically set out to find one; last year it was my Valentines' gift to myself.

Trader Joe's has been one of the best places to shop for orchids because they have a great selection and good prices. They even felt sorry for me when I told them about how my last two orchid purchases died. They gave me another one! I must admit, my cousin did tell them it was my birthday.

Fred Meyers comes in second for my orchid fetish. The last compulsive orchid purchase is now sending up a new shoot and I anxiously await the flowers. The other day as I was leaving the store, I ran into the orchid display. I could not resist this one! Anyways, Valentines' Day is just around the corner, so the purchase was justified.

Isn't she a beauty?!?


I have never seen an orchid with purple spots.



I am smitten :)

No comments:

Post a Comment