Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bleeding Hearts

Not yet in bloom in the forest, but blooming in my yard because I had to purchase one of these showy plants at the local nursery. With graceful, fern like foliage, this is the ballerina of native plants. The heart shaped rose pink flowers on faint purplish stems hang delicately from the arching foliage. I learned that there are at least 8 different varieties.

Asian Bleeding Heart


I am fascinated by the delicate details of each bloom.



Our native wild Bleeding Heart has finely cut leaves and grows to a height of about 6-8 inches. In mid-spring it sends up a stalk (panicle) of flowers that will reach just above the foliage level. It is happiest in rich wooded slopes with dappled sunlight or mostly shade.

Last year I created a watercolor painting of our native specimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment