Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Sketches

I am back from Gaza!

Attempting to assimilate the experience of my adventures and being part of the Maia Mural Project.

Here is one of the sketches I created as I was gazing out the dinning area window of the Adam Hotel in Gaza City, Gaza.


The people of Gaza depend heavily on fishing to provide for their families as well as income. I was privileged to go out fishing with the fishermen of Gaza on the "Olivia", which is the international boat that keeps the Palestinians safe from the Israeli warships which harass the fishermen.




The Israeli warships make waves so that the fishermen cannot fish. The Olivia moves to where the Israelis are harassing the fishermen and the harassment stops for the time being until they isolate another group of fishermen. The Oslo Accords allows the fishermen 20 nautical miles from the coast, but these photos were taken around 3 miles from the coast of Gaza which Israel has illegally imposed.




It is very unraveling to have the guns pointed at you!

Read more about the Civil Peace Service Gaza boat "Oliva".

10 comments:

  1. wow, incredible sketch that depicts an incredible experience. I have to come back when I have more time to absorb it all.
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful art work ~ excellent trip I bet ~ good to be home ~ thanks ^_^

    New to Sketch Sunday ~ do hope you will come visit my blog Share the Creative Journey and A Creative Harbor ~ thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely something we are rarely allowed to see in U.S. media.

    An amazing project you were a part of and a beautiful way to educate the world on what's happening there and the needs of the citizens.

    (I hopped over from the sunday sketch group)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work..beautiful piece!
    victoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. your water color painting is so good! I would love to use water colors, but turns out it's very hard and I'm not very good at it! I guess practice makes perfect! have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So peaceful, Joanne. I love the softness about it as well, capturing a whirlwind of amazing emotions. Wonderful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your watercolor. Sad to hear of this of the situation that actually takes place in this part of the world. Very hard to imagine and I'm sure a very amazing experience! Thank you for sharing! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting is beautiful. What an amazing trip that must have been. Juana is right that we rarely get to see what you shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great perspective here, too. thank you for sharing this with us! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! Great painting. How fascinating to learn more about Gaza.

    ReplyDelete