Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It is Just Paper!

My classic line when I work with people creating art who are critical of their artwork is, "It is just paper, not to worry."

Well this line takes on a new dimension after viewing paper sculptures by Canadian artist Calvin Nicholls.
My good friend and artist, Judi Colwell, introduced me to him.

I use the expression this time as.....
"Oh my gosh, it is just paper!"

There is nothing simple or ordinary about his paper art. Where we would use a piece of paper and a pair of scissors, Calvin uses everything you could possibly think of to carve, cut and rip perfect details onto his creations. The motifs are mostly wildlife and the details are truly amazing. One can not even fathom the time it must have taken to create these masterpieces of art.

Here are two of my favorites:




Be sure to visit his website to see more ASTONISHING JUST PAPER creations.

2 comments:

  1. Wow those are amazing! That truely does give a new meaning to 'it's just paper.' I suppose nothing is really 'just' though. Let's take carbon dioxide for example, some people say it's just a gas but without it we would have no trees or flowers!

    (I'm an art student myself and I stumbled upon this wonderful blog of your's :) ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth and Arthur,

    Thanks for the compliment :)

    Glad you stopped by and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete